I am a software engineer, and like many people who works with computers. I feel neck pain from time to time due to many hours of continuous work on computer.
An article at BeautifulMind.com suggests a way to relieve this kind of pain based on Chinese old medicine :
A point in the human body which, when stimulated by placing an ice cube, not only relieves neck pain but also promotes overall well being.
The point is called Feng Fu (Translated into English as ‘Wind Mansion’). It’s a pressure point found at the base of the skull just below the bottom of the skull cap at the top of the neck.
With few research It turns that it isn't just a Chinese myth but that some therapists (acupuncturists) are already using the Feng Fu point to heal patients.
## What it does
According to the original article, placing an ice cube on the Feng Fu point and holding it there for 20 minutes are sufficient not only to relieve neck pain but also it :
"– Improve your sleep;
– Improve the digestive system;
– Eliminate frequent colds;
– Decrease headache, toothache and joint pain;
– Improve your breathing, cardiovascular system;
– Manage neurological disorders, degenerative changes in the spine;
– Cure gastrointestinal and sexually transmitted infections;
– Manage disorders of the thyroid gland;
– Cure arthritis, hypertension and hypotension;
– Cure asthma;
– Manage disorders in the gastrointestinal tract, obesity and malnutrition;
– Remove Cellulites;
– Manage menstrual disorders, impotence, frigidity, endocrine, infertility;
– Manage psycho-emotional disorders, stress, chronic fatigue, depression, insomnia;"
Feng Fu pillow, based on IoT, simulates the cooling effect of the ice cube through thermoelectric cooling.
## How I built it
A simple Ardnuino 101 (or Genuino) based device using the integrated Bluetooth Low Energy to communicate with a mobile device to monitor the system.
The end point is a Peltier module : a low cost thermoelectric cooler transforming the electrical energy cooling from one side and heating on the other side: the cooling side is placed on the Feng Fu point as an alternative to the ice cube in Chinese acupuncture.
## Accomplishments that I'm proud of
Feng Fu is not « another » smart pillow or massage device. It is a mariage between ancient technics and new technology to solve scenarios of life.
## What's next for Feng Fu Pillow
commercialization, seeking investments to start a serious thing.